Jim Crigler wrote:
> I installed Rails to tinker with on my FreeBSD 4 box.  Because of
> the waythe FreeBSD port (FBSD's term for installable applications)
> of Rails works, rubygesms got installed with it.  So far, so good.
> I can do all the rails stuff I expect to be able to do, use
> tutorials, start prototyping my application, etc.
>
> When I heard about the Nitro and had explored the documentation
> (what there is of it), I decided to give it a try.  So, because
> there is no FreeBSD port for Nitro yet, I entered (as root)
>
>     gem install --rdoc -y nitro
>
> and a few minutes later all was set up.  However, the paths
> or something are not set correctly.  As an example, I tried
> to start at the very beginning (a very good place to start,
> I'm told), with the command
>
>     nitrogen app myapp
>
> and I discovered that neither nitro nor nitrogen was not in
> my path (the way all the rails paraphenalia was).  Okay, it time
> to start investigating.  So I read up on rubygems in PickAxe 2,
> and I discovered that a few settings may be needed.  Next
> iteration:
>
>     ruby -rubygems -e 'require_gem("nitro"); load("nitrogen")' app
> myapp
>
> I got several (more than 25) warnings about '&' and '*' being
> interpreted in some way (as an operators?) then an error message
> (that I don't remember at the moment --- I can post it tonight
> if there's a need and no one has the magic bullet for this).
>
> I suspect is the problem is in the way FreeBSD treats gems that
> *are* ports vs. gem installation of things that *aren't* ports.
> I was hoping someone here might have already blazed the trail
> and I just didn't pick up the signs.

I think there are a few issues with the current version (0.24.0) of
Nitro/Og, and 0.25 is being assemble for release.   So, before you get
too crazy with looking for causes, you may want to drop by the Nitro
mailing list and see if anyone else has had the same issues and if 0.25
will fix them.  (The problem with nitrogen not being found sounds
familiar to me, but I've not used it lately).

http://www.nitrohq.com/
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/nitro-general/

James Britt