Quoting "i.v.r." <ivanvega / gmail.com>:

> What's wrong with sprintf? I don't see how sprintf is evil versus
> the long procedure you detailed, but what do I know... I'm just a
> BASIC programmer, LOL.

There's nothing wrong with using sprintf (aka format) here.  It's
just not the most readable or flexible solution in many other
cases.

Since sprintf() is lifted almost directly from C, recent converts
from C do have a tendency to overuse it.  That and its distinctly
C-ish flavor likely account for Harold's revulsion.

Now, not being a former C programmer, you may not be so strongly
tempted to write:

 sprintf("%s%s%s", a.zolum, b.fep, c.gorza)

when you could have simply written:

 "#{a.zolum}#{b.fep}#{c.gorza}"

...but if you ever are, please be aware that it's worth TWO kittens.

-mental