Hi,

I've been trying to locate the source for File.open and I'm having no luck.

I looked under /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/ and found no File.rb or even IO.rb.
I did a find /usr/local/lib/ruby -name "*.rb" -exec grep "class File"
{} \; -print and it only turns up in a pertty print and ftools source.

Are the core classes only defined in compiled binary perhaps?

If so, I have another question. Using RoR I'm running into a problem
due to too many open files. I want to find the File.open source (or
IO.open maybe) and add in some sort of debugging so I can log every
file being opened to help debug the issue. Is there a way I can do
this without going to the actual source?

Thanks for any advice.