Hi Curt,

Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

> Running "gem uninstall rails" WILL NOT clean up
> your Rails

I did notice the automatic installation of about a half-dozen other packages
when I installed Rails, so I recognize your analysis is right on point.

But in this case,  the uninstalls were only pro-forma in my mind because I
uninstalled Ruby in its entirety through Windows/Add-Remove-Programs
followed by a check that the Ruby directory was in fact empty.

The key issue for me is the fact that having made a clean install of Ruby,
gem-update failed midway.

As I was typing this,  Lyle's response popped up in my News client.  He
wrote that I chose the wrong option to gem-update.  I chose option "1,
fxruby 1.4.2 (ruby)".    I should have chosen option 2 which, as Lyle says,
" ... will install a precompiled version of FXRuby for Windows with little
or no muss or fuss. The option that you're choosing (the "fxruby 1.4.2
(ruby)") tries to build FXRuby from source code, which is painful in the
best of cases.

So my trail may soon be over.  Again,  thanks for responding on this thread.

Regards,
Richard