On Oct 31, 2005, at 9:18 PM, zdennis wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> |Is the -> syntax still open for debate Matz? I agree with Austin
>> on |this. The syntax here is just ugly.
>> It's always open.  But define "ugly" first.
> Here are some of my thoughts on the syntax "->(a=5,b=1){ }" to
> denote it as ugly.

My additions (as another non-fan of this syntax):
* It's a pain to type on a US English keyboard. Under 'proper'
typing, I believe the right right finger is required for both
characters, timed with a shift key press for the second one. Despite
the verbosity, I find typing "lambda" to be faster than typing "->".
And "def" is even easier ;)

* It points the wrong way. I don't know how to convince anyone of
this, but in my heart of hearts it's like a right hand side missing
it's left. With something like:       foo = <- (a,b){ ... }    it
looks like the arrow takes all the stuff on the right hand side and
converts it into something that's available on the left hand side.
The syntax being discussed can only be justified (by me) as some sort
of symbolic link or something. "You were expecting a value here?
Quick, look to the right!"

Ugly, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes it's hard
to quantify or rationalize. It's just...ugly (to me).