On 10/31/05, Richard Lionheart <NoOne / nowhere.net> wrote:

> Following your guidance,  detailed in gory detail as an appendix, the
> uninstalls and reinstall of FxRuby and Rails went smoothly.  However,
> testing the installation failed probably because on my mistake.  If my
> proposed solution below is sound,  I'd just like an OK.
>
> ** The test **
> In the Command window,  I changed the directory to:
> K:\_Utilities\Ruby_1.8.2-15\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\fxruby-1.4.2\examples
>
> Ran command: ruby bounce.rb
>
> ** The result **
> Got error message:
> k:/_utilities/ruby_1.8.2-15/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:18:
> in `require__': No such file to load -- fox14 (LoadError)
>
> ** The cause?? **
> As I mentioned below,  after the two uninstalls you recommended,  there
> remained two (sprurious, I thought) fox14 directories,  one in lib and one
> in ext as I recall.  Sadly, I didn't save them in Recycle bin,  so I can't
> recover them..
>
> ** The solution?? **
> gem uninstall rails
>
> gem uninstall fxruby
> Control Panel | Add/Remove Pgms: Ruby
> Reinstall Ruby
> gem update
> gem install rails

I *think* this should do the trick. Basically, after you do a "gem
uninstall fxruby", you shouldn't find *any* fxruby-related stuff under
the ...\Ruby_1.8.2-15\lib\ruby\gems\1.8 directory. Or at least that's
my understanding of how RubyGems' uninstall process works.

You should definitely get rid of any "spurious" fox14 directories
under the ...\lib\ruby\gems\1.8 directory, and then maybe as a sanity
check do a "gem list --local" to ensure that RubyGems doesn't think
FXRuby's installed (as a gem) anymore.

> It certainly did!!  I apologize from (apparently) screwing it up.

I think some of the confusion comes from the duplication between
RubyGems and other installation methods. In other words, if you
install FXRuby using the executable installer
(fxruby-1.4.2-ruby182.exe or whatever), then gems doesn't know
anything about it. If (when) gems is better integrated into Ruby, I
hope that this will become less an issue.