Maybe it's related to halloween being tomorrow; all of a sudden qtruby
on my debian box just brings up blank boxes.

Ok, it's probably more related to my having upgraded from sarge to
etch. I rebuilt qtruby (the latest tarball) and reran rbuic on my .ui
files and did just about everything else I could think of, and nothing
has changed.

The hello world demo from the web site works, but anything I create
with qt designer doesn't. In designer preview works normally.

The same code works on my os x laptop, and an earlier version of the
same code worked on this computer too (before I upgraded to etch).

Here's my versions:
ruby 1.8.3
libsmokeqt-dev 4:3.3.2-1
libqt3-mt-dev 3:3.3.4-3

Just for kicks I tried it with libqt0-ruby1.8 4:3.3.2-1 (the debian
korundum package, which is a bit out of date) and got the same results.
(I did a make uninstall from the qtruby source dir before installing
it, and now that I have neither installed it fails on requiring Qt as
expected)

Anyone else on etch having success or failure? What else should I check?