----- Original Message -----
From: hipster <hipster / xs4all.nl>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 12:48 AM
Subject: [ruby-talk:16296] Re: Strange idea... exporting from a scope

> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001  04:16:26 +0900, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> [snip]
> > The chief cause of problems is solutions.  Especially solutions to
> > problems that don't exist in the first place. I haven't seen any good
> > reasons to change the way things are right now.
> [snip]
> > [..] I don't see the point of changing scoping of any kind of blocks
> > in Ruby, be that {...} blocks, if...then...end, blocks; and I don't see
> > the point of adding a new kind of "more local" blocks. I think there are
> > much better things to do.
>
> For the record: these two paragraphs convey exactly how I feel about
> this issue.

If I understand correctly, I agree.

Rather than make the changes we have been discussing, I would prefer
leaving the language alone in this respect.

Matz himself says he has been bitten by this dubious behavior... of course,
he is the authority. But for my part, I have been working with Ruby for
nearly two years, having written over 10,000 lines of code in all -- mostly
useless stuff, of course :) -- and I have only been bitten once.

My one cent's worth.

Hal