----- Original Message -----
From: Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / zetabits.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 12:07 AM
Subject: [ruby-talk:16295] Re: Strange idea... exporting from a scope

> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:16286] Re: Strange idea... exporting from a scope"
>     on 01/06/07, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc / mandrakesoft.com> writes:
>
> |Recently, I came to conclude that, to understand that behaviour, I have
> |think |i| as a (potentially local) assignment rather than a local
> |temporary aliasing.
>
> It is.  It was natural to me when I designed this feature.

I have been thinking more about this.

This concept is the best reason I know for disliking the "symbol"
notation (which I mostly like).

Code like  0..10.each { |win.scrollbar| }  just wouldn't make sense
with the symbol notation. I hardly ever see things like x.y inside
the ||, but I do see their utility.

Originally, I never perceived that |x,y| was like a multiple assignment
to x and y.

I think it was Dave Thomas who once called this to the attention of the
m/l and said, "Gotta love it when something turns out to be orthogonal
like that..."

Hal