Hi people,

I've done a bit of searching through this group, and found some things
that I thought would help me, but unfortunately they haven't.

I'm just trying to write a short script that will search through web
server log files and write out lines from the original files that
contain a certain term to a new file. I did have the "puts" line of my
code working, but after a few changes that doesn't work either!

What am I doing wrong?? :

There are a bunch of "ex2005##.log" files in the current directory.

--------------------
#!c:\ruby\bin\ruby

def find_redir
  found = []
  Dir['ex*.log'].each do |file|
    file.each_line do |line|
      #found.push line if line =~ /redir/
      found.push line if line["redir"]
      #puts line if line["redir"]
    end
    File.open("found-redir-lines.txt", "w+") do |o|
      o.write found.join
    end
    #p found.join

def show_500_errors
  f = File.open("found-redir-lines.txt", "r")
  f.each do |line|
    puts line if line["500"]

find_redir()
#show_500_errors()

The second function is to go through the new file and find 500 server
errors, which I guess I could have done in the first function, but not
to worry.

So why does this produce a create a "found-redir-lines.txt" file, but
leave it blank ??

Thanks in advance, rubyists
Drew