Dave Thomas wrote:

> "Guy N. Hurst" <gnhurst / hurstlinks.com> writes:
>
> > I think there is more good than harm.  So many people seem to
> > already be asking "What's the best/right way to do X in Ruby?". So
> > this would give some direction (which of course results in excluding
> > other 'ways').
>
> I guess I'd rather see a language that made it easy to write well, but
> didn't preclude you writing badly if you like.
>
> Dave

Also there's not only final coding style to consider, but the process
along the way.  I can only speak for myself, but I know I rely on block
scoping rules when writing code almost as if it were prose, with messy
rambling early drafts.

Surely there are times when bottom-up thinking is called for.  Even
granting that we might generally agree on what good code looks like and
how it is organized, I am unhappy when the language seems poised to start
dictating the path by which I am to get there.

  Mark