On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:16 AM, Alexander Lamb wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I really tried to find some examples on Rinda. There is exactly one
> page (727) in the programming Ruby book. So here is what I understood:
>
> 1.
> Rinda is based on top of DRb

Yes.

> 2.
> With DRb, you can have clients notified of changes using observers
> (a class mixin I think)

It is no different than regular Ruby.

> 3.
> Rinda allows you to have a server of tuples.

Yes

> 4.
> Rinda needs one Rinda service process, one tuplespace process and
> then as many client processes as you want to connect to a tuplespace

You only need a TupleSpace.  Rinda::RingFinder just makes things
convenient, but the two don't have anything to do with each other.

> 5.
> It seems rather simple to add tuples to the tuplespace then
> retrieve them using patterns

Yes.

> 6.
> It "looks like" you can get notified, but how?

[ruby-talk:159065]

> 7.
> It "looks like" you can set durations (validity) to tuples, but how?

Second argument to write/take/read/notify is either a duration or a
Renewer.

> What I miss here is:
>
> An example of a tuplespace program (client and server) where:
>
> - you can register (or unregister) as observer for a given pattern
> - add or delete a tuple
> - get notified of an addition or a deletion (either from timestamp
> validity or because it has been deleted)

There are some examples in sample/drb:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/sample/drb/

> The idea is to have a tuplespace of all the status of the real time
> monitoring we do of our systems. It can be simple pings, more
> complexe HTTP/Get, etc... all this will be consolidated and we
> should be able to view "all the last situations on machine A" or
> "all the probes giving an error", etc...

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04