Phil Tomson ha scritto:
> In article <p0623090cbf8438394fe6@[192.168.254.205]>,
> Rich Morin  <rdm / cfcl.com> wrote:
>
>>At 4:24 AM +0900 10/26/05, Louis J Scoras wrote:
>>
>>>A really good book I read a little while ago is "Higher Order Perl", by Mark
>>>Jason Dominus. Yes, yes. It is a book about perl, but more importantly its
>>>about doing neat things with closures. There was a thread recently about
>>>functional techniques in Ruby, and some of the ideas in MJDs book can be
>>>ported over pretty easily. In fact, doing this in ruby seems a bit more
>>>natural IMHO.
>>
>>I asked MJD about the idea of doing a "Higher Order Ruby" book.  He
>>said (roughly) that he doesn't know Ruby well enough to be confident
>>of doing it correctly.  If assorted Rubyists translate other examples
>
>>from HOP into Perl, however, it might help to make such a book happen
>
>>(if not by MJD, then perhaps by someone else...).
>>

> Or how about a webpage somewhere where we could put Ruby translations with
> some comments.

+1, actually I was doing this. Maybe we could just use a wiki section?

Anyway it is just fun to see that the first 4/5 chapters are actually no
brainer in ruby or just seen on ruby-talk regularly (i.e. HOFs,
iterators, memoization, decision tables).

 > I've been intrigued by the book when I've seen it at
> Powell's, but it hurts my eyes too much to look at Perl these days to
> consider buying it.  If there was a website with Ruby examples, that would
> certainly help.
>
> Phil

hey, I don't even really know perl, I am continuosly thinking "wow, this
is too painful!" whn seeing things like coderefs :)