>> Thanks for your thoughts. The above (my approach) fits so nicely with
>> the single table inheritance in Rails without implementing a single
>> line of code (except for the five lines above). With this, I get never
>> above the multiple of 500 (or was it 5000?) lines of code to get a
>> higher patrick.to_i value. But the #developer? (and alike) methods read
>> better, right.

> Of course, you asked a Ruby question, so you got a Ruby answer.
> If you had asked a Rails question, you may have gotten a Rails answer.
>
> You should be more specific about that fact, it would get better responses.

Actually I am happy that I did not ask a rails specific question,
since I might have missed Brian's valuable comments. BTW: I have used
the code I posted in another project of mine, which is not rails
based. And, I see it more of a discussion where I get help
rethinking/recoding/refactoring. My answer to Brian was not supposed
to sound like 'well, thanks for your post, but I use my code anyway'.
If it did, I apologize.

Patrick