On 10/24/05, Yohanes Santoso <ysantoso-rubytalk / dessyku.is-a-geek.org> wrote:> What is needed here is a change on how we should look at our email> addresses.>> Do you give your home phone number to a client? Do you give your> business phone number to your parents? If not, then why should you> give your personal email address to a client and your business email> address to your parents?>> Let's expand this further. Why should you be subscribing to a mailing> list with your personal email address? Why should you be the one doing> the routing of incoming emails? And, worse, asking the originator of> the email to, say, prefix the subject.>> Email addresses are much cheaper than phone number. For each> occassion, you can afford to give out new email address. For example,> I use a different email address for ruby-talk mailing list than the> email address I hand out to friends, and to co-workers, and to my> parents.>> This way, I'm not doing the routing of incoming emails; they do by> sending emails to the email address I gave them, their emails will> land on the mailboxes I want without me doing no further configuration> changes.>> I feel sad that email addresses in this age of cyberspace are still> treated as if it is as expensive as a phone number. They are cheap,> dirt cheap.>> Imagine this: work / yourname.yourdomain, friend / yourname.yourdomain,> ruby-talk / yourname.yourdomain, newegg / yourname.yourdomain.>> If your organisation is still in the backwater, giving you only one> email address, instead of a sub-domain, that's OK. That's just for> work, right?>> OTOH, for your personal life, you can get a subdomain for free from> various dyndns providers, and start churning out email addresses.>This is all nice. And I also try to separate the work address and theother address.But even if I use a freemail, I get only one address for personal use.They explicitly disallow registering more (because I could use morespace then). And dealing with several different freemails is terrible.Dyndyns does not work for me. It is only a technical issue to get itworking (recompiling the client for mips or whatever) but there isstill no place where I could receive the emails at home.First the computers eat energy when they are running all the time. Itis waste of electricity and money.Second the computers tend to break. I would probably get much morebounces than with a freemail.
Anyway, the sorting does not work for me. I do not like to read partof a thread in my inbox as direct replies, part in ruby-talk, andpossibly part in yet another mailbox if I was subscribed to other rubymailing list as well.What is even worse, if I read something interesting about a Linuxissue, was it in a Mandrake list, one of the dev lists (which Ihaven't usubscribed because they do not produce much mail), or in somelist seemingly unrelated list which just happened to touch the topicbecause somebody wanted to do something on Linux?I almost never know. So I have to search most of the mailboxes anyway.So I gave up sorting mail, and use gmail. It is not perfect but it isthe best solution for email I have found so far.
Thanks
Michal Suchanek
--             Support the freedom of music!Maybe it's a weird genre  ..  but weird is *not* illegal.Maybe next time they will send a special forces commandoto your picnic .. because they think you are weird. www.music-versus-guns.org  http://en.policejnistat.cz