On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Phil Tomson wrote:

> It's often said that learning a new language will help you look at things
> differently and thus also improve how your program in other languages you
> know.  I occasionally program in C++ and I'm in one of those occasions now
> so I'm thinking about how knowing Ruby has influenced my C++ programming.
>
> One thing that comes to mind is that I'm more likely now to pass around
> function pointers as a way to emulate yield.  The function passed in can be
> evaluated at every step of an iteration, for example, to test for some
> condition.
>
> Anyone got other examples of how your C++ programming has been influenced by
> your Ruby knowledge?

templates and generic programming:  they are as close to duck typing as you
can get - implement the required signature and you're off.  the vigra toolkit
i've been using is a great example of this.  i've also realized the
__massive__ speed hit you incur if you write c++ without templates that i'd
say c++ is not of enough value to bother without them.

the biggest improvement, of course, is that i don't need to write much c++
anymore.  ;-)

-a