matz / zetabits.com (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In message "[ruby-talk:16184] Re: (?i:) in regexp"
>    on 01/06/03, Sean Russell <ser / maus.germane-software.com> writes:
>
>|If we're concerned with obtaining maximum Perl compatibility, why not
>|steal the regex code from Perl?  Was it too difficult to merge into
>|the Ruby source tree?
>
>Last time I checked, Perl regex engine was tied closely to the
>interpreter, that I had to link whole thing to Ruby.  Has situation
>changed since then?

I doubt that has changed.

Also note that Ilya Zakharevich (the main author of Perl's
RE engine) is not known for producing the easy code to
understand.  Rather the opposite in fact...

>Plus, PCRE didn't satisfy my needs (performance, M17N, etc.)

PCRE?  Do you mean Philip Hazel's library?  I know little
about it other than the fact that it exists and is used by
a lot of projects.

Anyways Perl's RE engine should satisfy performance if you
could extract it from Perl and any potential license issues.
But I doubt it will currently support M17N...

Cheers,
Ben