On 10/21/05, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk / gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I have a main program that reads in a Ruby configuration file that
> can also read other configuration files that are in a relative
> directory.  I'm having problems with the relative directory part.  If
> I hardcode the directory paths, everything's ok.  But I don't want
> /joe/configuration/config.rb to know that it's in /joe/configuration.
> I just want that configuration file to be able to read
> /joe/configuration/common.rb.
>
> Sorry if this is confusing, let me know if I can clarify the question.

Don't worry Joe, this is a common problem, and fairly easily solved.
All you have to do is use Ruby's built-in library search path code,
with a special addition:

config.rb:

 # Adds the directory containing this code to the search path
$:.unshift File.dirname(File.expand_path(__FILE__))
# Now require will work
require 'common'

Ryan