Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:16186] Re: Block arguments vs method arguments"
    on 01/06/03, Sean Russell <ser / maus.germane-software.com> writes:

|I'm curious, though.  Would the following be equivalent?
|
|	10.times { <$a> } # global var
|	10.times { |$a| } # global var
|
|and
|
|	10.times { <@a> }
|	10.times { |@a| }

Any variables other than local variables would NOT be allowed in <..>.

|Anyway, Matz's example easily solves the multiple-scoping-rules case,
|and I should have seen that.  The only catch is block usage in methods.
|For example, you can't outscope:
|
|	def my_method
|		blah = "My blah"
|
|		foo { < blick, blah > # How do we set blah from here?
|		}
|	end

Yes.  But it's common behavior for variable shadowing.

|I still don't like using '<' and '>' as delimiters, but now all I have
|as an argument is aesthetics.
|
|Couldn't we please break old code and change the definition of "|...|"?
|Pleeeeeeeease?

But I still believe in aesthetics in language design.  I'm still
hoping something better looking.

							matz.