On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 12:19:56AM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |If so, would there not be many instances in which a programmer
> |might *want* to mix the behaviors?
>
> You can easily get it by explicit combination with multiple
> assignment.
>
>   foo {<a,b,*c>
>    $a, $b = c
>   }

Wow.  Duh.  Why did I miss this?

I'm curious, though.  Would the following be equivalent?

	10.times { <$a> } # global var
	10.times { |$a| } # global var

and

	10.times { <@a> }
	10.times { |@a| }

Anyway, Matz's example easily solves the multiple-scoping-rules case,
and I should have seen that.  The only catch is block usage in methods.
For example, you can't outscope:

	def my_method
		blah = "My blah"

		foo { < blick, blah > # How do we set blah from here?
		}
	end

I still don't like using '<' and '>' as delimiters, but now all I have
as an argument is aesthetics.

Couldn't we please break old code and change the definition of "|...|"?
Pleeeeeeeease?

--- SER