Hi list,

I need some advice around Ruby, SQLite an cross-platform problems. I
maintain Pimki, a wiki-based personal organiser[1]. So far, it was
using Madeleine as the backend storage format. However Madeleine seems
problematic: troubles in refactoring class/method names between Pimki
revision, occasional crashes and problems with the zip compression.

For Pimki2 I have the option of continuing with Madeleine or to switch
to SQLite/ActiveRecord. This will (hopefully) make Pimki more stable
and development easier, but will it make users happier? SQLite may just
be an unnecessary dependency / complexity.

I started to collect user profiles via a survey
(http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=447&survey_id=25) to
get a better impression, but I'd also highly appreciate input from this
list on:

* Ease of SQLite install on major platforms
* Moving applications from Madeleine to a proper database
* SQLite as a proper database
* Including a binary build of SQLite in the distro to make a
stand-alone app
* Anything else you deem relevant to this kind of a problem

Cheers,
Assaph

ps. You can a read full account of my dilemma on:
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/AssaphMehr?id=26

[1] http://pimki.rubyforge.org