I'm just about at my wit's end here...  I am trying to compile Ruby
1.8.3 on AIX 5.1.  I have tried gcc and I've tried xlc, neither works,
although they die at different points.  I get further if I use the
--with-static-linked-ext configure option, but it still dies.  The two
errors I am seeing most often (on many different attempts) are:

1.  ruby.imp is missing (is this a file that is supposed to be created
during the build?).
2.  "gcc error: -b must come at the beginning of a line".  Moving all
instances of -brtl to the beginning of the flags variables does not fix
this, nor does removing it altogether.

I've read about other people having trouble getting this to compile,
but what I don't see is a solution anywhere.  Has anyone done this?  If
so, any pointers to get me moving again would be much appreciated!
I've been banging my head against a wall on this for quite some time.

Thanks,
Will