On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Jim Weirich wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 11:41 am, Ara.T.Howard wrote:
>> i'm confounded by this: * Version 0.0.1: The initial Stack class is
>> release.
>>
>>        why on earth would all digits begin numbering at zero __except__
>>        build? seems that it should be version 0.0.0
>
> Ok, point taken.
>
>>    * Version 1.1.0: push now returns the value pushed (it used it return
>>    nil).
>>
>>        why would this not be 2.0.0 - remembering we're at 1.0.0 from 'eg
>>        3'? clearly code which had done
>>
>>          values.inject(stack){|accum, val| accum.push val or accum}
>>
>>        would no longer work.
>
> You make a good argument for 2.0.0.  Perhaps the example is flawed.  My
> feeling was that it was unlikely that a method that *always* returned nil
> would be used in a value situation, hence returning a value was relatively
> safe change to make.
>
> In real life, many API decisions are gray areas where you need to make such
> judgement calls (as the rest of your posting points out).  However, not
> using a clear-cut example in the document is clearly a document bug.  I'll
> address it when I get a chance.

thanks for the reply jim.  don't get me wrong - i'm not just trying to be
pendatic - i'm in the process of packaging every one of my projects, all 36 of
them, to gems and, therefore, trying to automatic the project.  the first task
was figuring out if any of my versions need changing since i was using the
libtool system.  all in all the gem version system seems good enough and
addresses my main concern with being able to do

   require_gem 'must_not_break', '~> 2.3'

in production code and know that it'll pick up 2.4 but not 3.0.  the trick,
however, is understanding precisely what consitutes re-naming to 2.4, or 3.0!

i had to upgrade to the latest to get '->' operator to work, but have seen
other people say a version back was the way to go.  thoughts?

kind regards.

-a