On 10/17/05, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs / gmail.com> wrote:
> Its true that autocomplete is a difficult
> proposition in a dynamic language.
> There is work being done on this, but nothing yet
> that is any good. Anyway,
> don't expect to find usuable autocomplete anywhere
> in the near future.

Curt, have you tried out the jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin? It provides
type-based method completion for the Ruby system classes. Blog based
feedback suggests that this is a usable autocomplete tool in
combination with other plugin features like the integrated RDoc
viewer[1].

In the short term I intend to extend the method autocompletion
functionality to autocomplete based on methods listed in imported
RDocs. So you'd be able to import RDocs for your own classes or gems
and autocomplete on your own methods.

> I disagree that IDE advice, though. One of the nice
> things you can get from the current batch of IDEs is
> code navigation -- a hierarchical tree that
> graphically shows you the modules/classes/methods of
> the file being edited, ...
>
> FreeRIDE has this, so does the RDT plugin for
> Eclipse (both are free).

The jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin also shows a hierarchical tree of the
Ruby code structure, in a dockable side panel and also in a key-bound
popup dialog. In the popup dialog you're able to navigate to a method
via type-ahead selection.

Rob
http://www.jedit.org/ruby/

[1]http://jroller.com/page/thuss?entry=in_search_of_a_ruby