You know, this is something I've been thinking about for a while now.
When I was looking for work about 6 months ago companies wouldn't piss
on me if I was on fire.  The only way to get reliable work again was to
problems doing it (well, helping other people do it is more accurate)
but man I'd rather be doing Ruby or anything that doesn't involve
waiting for Eclipse to start up.

Lately though I've seen postings like Jeff's practically begging for
Ruby developers.  I've had a couple of offers to write books.  I've had
people invite me to work on projects.  Despite this, I feel like I'm
just so swamped with the few things I actually do that I'm missing out
on a big movement or something.  I feel like I'm in Cuba watching Che
rape and kill people and saying, "Damn, some day that guy will be on a
t-shirt."

Am I the only person who wants to dive into Ruby full time but who's
also afraid of another dot-com burnout?  Are there really that many
companies with great ideas, health benefits, and good pay that
seriously need Ruby?  Do other potential Rubyists think that Rails and
Ruby might be popular, but maybe not popular enough to be a full
time job?

Anyway, just fishing for general opinions.  Flames welcome.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/