Thank you for the response.

I did find a hack using wscript that id like to share:

x = IO.popen("c:/program files/internet explorer/iexplore.exe")
x.pid
=> 3672
system("wscript.exe test.vbs")

I know this is a hack but can win32api not be used to make a ruby
implementation of this?
------------------------test.vbs--------------------
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject _
    ("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where ProcessID = 3672")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
    objProcess.Terminate()
Next

Thx again!!