As you know, you can create a hash like so:

   hash = { :action => "overthere" }

You could, if you so desired, then pass this hash to a method:

   render(hash)

You could combine the two to get:

   render({ :action => "overthere" })

Ruby actually lets you omit the curly braces when the hash is the
last parameter of a method:

   render :action => "overthere"

The above just calls render with a single hash as the parameter,
containing :action. You can specify as many arguments as you want,
and as long as the hash parameters are the last ones, it all Just
Works, with the last parameter of the method receiving the hash.

- Jamis