Two things:

#1 - 0.5 of the RDT was built for Eclipse 3.0 and works fine.
        0.6 of the RDT was built for Eclipse 3.1 and works there.

#2 - I think it's interesting that NOBODY mentioned that this is not
the normal way to get updates and such for Eclipse.

Eclipse has a plugin management system that makes installing things
cake and makes sure they get to the right place.

Open Eclipse ( you should be using 3.1 )
Click Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install
When the dialog "Install/Update" pops up, select "Search for new
features to install" and click "Next"
On the "Install" dialog, click "New Remote Site"
Another dialog will appear "New Remote Site"
Fill in anything you want for name: I use "RDT - Ruby Development Toolkit"
Fill in http://rubyeclipse.sf.net/updatesite for URL
Click OK.
Make sure that your new option "RDT - Ruby Development Toolkit" is
checked in the list.
Click Finish
A dialog should appear showing you that the remote server is being
queried for new packages and then a list of available packages should
appear.
Select the RDT 0.6
And follow the rest of the prompts ... Since I've already got it
installed on my system, I'm not able to continue the walkthrough.

Really, it's not hard, and it installs things appropriately and
registers them with Eclipse.

After the install completes and Eclipse restarts ...

In your menu button bar, on the right most side ( just under the
minimize/maximize/close buttons for Eclipse ) Click on the leftmost
icon ( it looks like a divided window with a small yellow plus on it
). It will drop down a menu, the last option is "Other...". Click
"Other...". A small dialog will appear and Ruby will be in the list.
Select Ruby and click ok.

On the same little toolbar you will now see Ruby as well as Java and
whatever other options were there before.  Click Ruby and you are now
in Ruby Mode for Eclipse.

Phew, I hope that all made sense.  Let me know if I explained anything
incorrectly.

j.

--
"http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"