Selon Dave Bettin <me / davebettin.com>:

> 1) Consistency in naming/coding conventions. The standard library module
> and class list is not the prettiest thing to look at. Is there a
> standard for naming/coding conventions in Ruby? I believe it is very
> important for Ruby to have consistency with its conventions.

Classes/modules are in CamelCase, methods are with_underscores. For the rest, I
find personally that the standard library looks quite nice. To each his own.

> 2) A solid/sophisticated VM. Speed/scalability/virtualization is
> crucial. And I am not sure that the CLR or JVM is the answer, I believe
> it will cause much more pain then gain for Ruby. I know there is YARV
> but  is it really going to see the light of day?

Given that it actually *already* works (just not for all of Ruby), it's more
than just vaporware. You can check its advancement here:
http://www.atdot.net/yarv/ , and even look at what it actually does here:
http://www.atdot.net/yc/ !

I believe it is now in the phase of the "10% that take 90% of the time" :) .

> 3) Finally, the unixisms in the library. Face it we live in a
> heterogeneous world and these libraries must face this reality. I
> understand the ancestry of Ruby is  unix but will we see better system
> abstractions for the libraries in the future? Maybe the answer to number
> will this question too.

I don't know what you're talking about. Before I moved to Linux I used Ruby
exclusively on Windows and have never seen anything unixist that prevented me
to do what I want (except iconv, but that has been solved since then, and will
be built-in in Ruby2). So I don't believe it's a problem.

> I am not so worried by the lack of enterprise level libraries or
> documentation.. this will come (maybe from Commercial backing).

That on the other hand worries me, although I've seen encouraging signs lately
on this very list.

> "Ruby for the Masses!"

"Wine and Ruby!" ;)
--
Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr

It takes a straight mind to create a twisted conlang.