At 11:01 PM 5/31/2001 +0900, Sean Russell wrote:

>On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 11:53:17AM +0900, Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> > For some reason I can't analyze, I like the look of the |...| notation -- I
> > guess because it gives me a comfortable feeling from junior high math --
> > and conversely I *absolutely despise* the <...> syntax.
>
>Hear, hear.  The thought of using <...> makes me cringe.
>
>Maybe it's an American thing :-)

I suppose having my first post weigh in on a syntax issue is as good as
anything. I second (or is that third, or maybe n'th) that opinion. I'm
comfortable with |...| (I come from a Lisp, and then a Smalltalk
background), even though I'm still a Ruby amateur. In general, I'm not one
for messing with syntax much. I think Ruby is pretty solid as is from a
syntax perspective and don't see it needing much, but again, this may be
due to limited in-depth exposure thus far.

Might very well be an American thing, even if I am living in Canada at the
moment. ;]

--
Dan Moniz <dnm / pobox.com> [http://www.pobox.com/~dnm/]