There are things that do that... but why?Ruby is a very different language than Java and .Net, which sometimesrely on the IDE too heavily. For Ruby, you don't need autocomplete.Actually, because Ruby is such a dynamic language, a *good*autocomplete is virtually impossible to make. My advice: try to use aneditor instead of an IDE or IDE-like environment with autocomplete andthe like. Experiment with Vim or Scite for a while, you might like it.I did, and I swore by autocomplete for Java before learning Ruby. Justmy $.02!
Jacob
On 10/16/05, Shreyas <sravi2k4 / gmail.com> wrote:> Hi all -->> I just started reading up on programming in Ruby. I used to program in> VB / VB.NET, and have done some programming in Java, etc etc. In any> case, I am looking over the basic "how to program in Ruby" tutorials on> the web just to get a general idea of how this programming language> works, and I was wondering if there was any editor out there that had> "autocomplete," i.e., one that will automatically give me a list of> functions for the object in question whenever I type in the '.', and> also give me the tooltips once I start a function.> I installed the one-click Ruby installer (I'm running this on WinXP),> and it gave me a copy of SciTE, but it looks like I need to point it to> a text file listing the entire ruby API, and I don't know where to find> that (I've tried Googling for it, but to no avail). I also have> installed RDE, and FreeRide comes with the installer too (but, of> course, FreeRide seems to run on top of Scintilla).> In any case, I was wondering if anyone knew either (a) how to get a> list of all the functions in ruby exported to an API file, or (b) if> there is an editor out there that can help out. Many times when I'm> programming, it's nice to just be able to see what the valid functions> are for the object in question, rather than having to look it up in the> API documentation.>> Thanks!> Shreyas>>>