On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:11:25AM +0900, Wayne Blair wrote:
> I see java as a potential trojan horse (not in the pejorative sense but I
> can't think of a more accurate term) to get ruby distributed in the
> commercial world, where server side java libraries are much easier to get
> deployed than native code.  I'm not saying that makes much sense, but in my

Or, in our case, it would make using Ruby *possible*.  We don't have the
authority to install a Ruby executable on all of the Forest Service servers,
but we *can* get authorization to get a jar file installed, and Java is
installed on all Forest Service computers, both servers and workstations.
If we had a Java implementation of Ruby, it would become practical to
begin application development in Ruby.

--- SER