----- Original Message -----
From: Niklas Frykholm <r2d2 / mao.acc.umu.se>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>; <ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 9:10 AM
Subject: [ruby-talk:16045] Re: Block arguments vs method arguments

> >I like the <a, b, *c> notation that was proposed to have a, b and c local
> >the block. It would be nice it if these args would be defined like method
> >arguments, and I would love it if variables created in the block would be
> >created in the caller's binding.
> >
> >Actually, If something like this is implemented, I can't see where I
would use
> >the old |...| format.
>
> Neither do I. I hope that when we have a working <...>, |...| will become
> deprecated and perhaps even removed (in a distant future version).

I have to admit my opinions here are not truly rational.

For some reason I can't analyze, I like the look of the |...| notation -- I
guess
because it gives me a comfortable feeling from junior high math -- and
conversely I *absolutely despise* the <...> syntax.

Note that I'm not talking about semantics here. Just syntax!

If we're not going to have both, I'd vote for: Change the meaning of the
|...| notation, fix all the old code that it breaks, and move on.

It's not as if there were millions of lines of Ruby out there yet.

Criticize me all you want. I have an irrational hatred of the <> notation.

Hal