------art_17909_7654111.1129304770928

On the way to work this morning, I even got it executing remote blocks ...

so client code looks like:

require 'roxy'
obj = Roxy.new( "otherhost", 4242 )
obj.func( [ 1, 2, 3 ] ) { |a| puts a }

... I just have to figure out how I'm going to deal with syntax that is
multi-layered...

blah.call.call2.call3

with how I have things now, blah.call would be run proxied, but .call2.call3
would be run locally on the result of the first call.

Anyways, that's about the only issue I have left to work out... I'll post
soon, better to post early than not at all ;)

j.

On 10/14/05, Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jeff Wood wrote:
>
> > Actually I wrote a new chunk of code based on Ara's snippet that for
> direct
> > calls does EXACTLY what I want it to ... I'll be posting it later today
> > I just have to deal with stuff like blah.call.call2.call3 ... which I
> don't
> > believe will currently work ... I'll have to dig through and see how DRb
> > makes it work ... DRbObjects don't work ... call methods or call
> > respond_to? ... they are NOT calls on the remote object ... I don't
> believe
> > ANY call on a proxied object should be local, they should ALL be passed
> over
> > the wire ( and yes, I know that at least id and send can't, but
> everything
> > other than those ). I really think you guys will like the stuff I have
> > So far, I'm calling it Roxy ...
> > Thanks.
> > j.
>
> sounds neat - now that i understand what you're after. i guess that
> approach
> would be find so long as one has __some__ method to determine what the
> heck
> the object 'really' like:
>
> proxy.__drb #=> the obj
> proxy.__drb? #=> true
>
> but i like the sound of making drb objects as close to local ones at
> possible.
>
> look forward to seeing what you come up with.
>
> -a
> --

> | email :: ara [dot] t [dot] howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
> | phone :: 303.497.6469
> | Your life dwells amoung the causes of death
> | Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

"http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

Jeff Wood

------art_17909_7654111.1129304770928--