Je Merkredo 30 Majo 2001 15:41, vi skribis:
> >What is Jarkata?
>
> It includes the regexp package.  It's part of the apache Java project.

Oh, I thought you had already tested the Jakarta regexp package.  I wasn't
sure what you were talking about, and thought you were refering to some
version of the JVM available for Windows.

> >What does your modified benchmark (without startup penalties) say?
>
> Excuse me?  I thought I already wrote that.  JDK 1.4 with Sun's Regex
> package ran some 2 seconds (I forgot) and JDK 1.3 with the Regex of
> the Jakata project ran some 9 seconds.

Ah.  When you said:

Stefan> Okay, I installed jarkata 1.2 and run the test: Time says 9.5s. Just
Stefan> to compare, "time ruby ..." says 4.7s.

I took it to mean that you were running the benchmarks with "time ...", not
with the internal benchmark code.

Ok, let me get this straight.  Here's what I'm seeing for a machine with a
~400MHz CPU and >=128Mb RAM ('time' is with the 'time' command, and 'int' is
with internal benchmarking around the main loop).

OS		VM	Regex		Time (s)
Windows	1.3	Regexp		9.5
Linux		1.4	Regexp		13
Linux		1.3	Regexp		12.5
Windows	1.4	Sun		~2
Linux		1.4	Sun		0.7 (!!!)
Windows	Ruby			4.7
Linux		Ruby			4.3

Wow.  It is the regexp package.  Bizarre.  Interesting that the Windows 1.3
JVM is faster than the Linux VM, but the Linux 1.4 VM is faster than the
Windows VM.

I'm really suprised by the run time of the 1.4 + Sun regex combination.

Ok, now on to get benchmarks of flex.rb.

> Well, at least it runs on Solaris and Linux without changes.  I also
> heared rumors that Sun wants to support Java/GTK as port of their
> efforts for the GNOME project.

That would be nice.  If we (as in, my company) can't (easily) get GTK on
Windows, though, it won't do us much good.

> As there're wxPython and wxPerl (BTW, it there a wxRuby version?) a
> wxJava version would be probably doable and should be portable, even
> with JNI, because wxwindows is portable, isn't it?

Yup, very portable.  Yeah, I'd like to see wxJava and wxRuby.  Actually, I'm
not sure I'd need wxJava if I had wxRuby.

=== SER   Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|Java|Ruby|Aikido|Dirigibles|GPG
=== http://www.germane-software.com/~ser  jabber.com:ser  ICQ:83578737
"The best diplomat I know of is a fully activated phaser bank." -- Scotty