Sean Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:

>What is Jarkata?

It includes the regexp package.  It's part of the apache Java project.

>Does this include the Sun HotSpot JIT?

No. That JIT is part of standard Java 1.3 and Java 1.4.

>What does your modified benchmark (without startup penalties) say?

Excuse me?  I thought I already wrote that.  JDK 1.4 with Sun's Regex
package ran some 2 seconds (I forgot) and JDK 1.3 with the Regex of
the Jakata project ran some 9 seconds.

>Hmmm.  I've never seen the GTK bindings for Java.

It's on sourceforge.

>Binding Java to any JNI immediately knocks off half the reason why I use
>Java in the first place.

Well, at least it runs on Solaris and Linux without changes.  I also
heared rumors that Sun wants to support Java/GTK as port of their
efforts for the GNOME project.

>If I ever saw a wxWindows binding for Java, I'd seriously consider using it,

As there're wxPython and wxPerl (BTW, it there a wxRuby version?) a
wxJava version would be probably doable and should be portable, even
with JNI, because wxwindows is portable, isn't it?

>Really?  The primary speed (or lack thereof) culprit is the event queue?

If you believe Eric Gamma, yes.  Plus the way, they do redrawing and -
especially on X windows - use bitmaps for double buffering.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \/ Truth Until Paradox