On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Jeff Wood wrote:

> These are a good start, but what I'm really trying to do is come up with a
> completely clean way to do DRb ...
>
> Don't get me wrong, I love DRb for what it is, but I want transparent proxy.
>
> So, I want to be able to do DRb::Proxy.new( "druby://add.ress:1234" )
>
> and get back an object I can call methods on ... that will report it self as
> whatever the Proxy is proxying not DRbObject ...
>
> Does that make sense? I am wanting to be able to use irb with DRb and get
> live auto-completion across the wire ...

sortof.  what would the proxy be?  i mean, you have

   proxy(client) -->> server

you can never acheive

   proxy(server)

well.  you can, but's that's what drb is.  what i'm driving at is that it
seems the proxy object you seek may only be wrapped around the local drb
object and, therfore, you'll be right back where you started from.  which
object to you intend to wrap such that it would make it seem that the object
were local?

i think you'd need to hackery in the drb object itself - it has a notion of
which methods to forward and which not to.  you could muck with this.  i'm
unclear how a proxy would clarify the situation though...

regards.

-a