Hi --

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, rubyhacker / gmail.com wrote:

> I knew somebody would bring that up. :)
>
> My gut feeling is that a page break can take the place
> of an arbitrary number of newlines. So I guess that means
> they are "consumed" in the page break. Additionally it
> seems "wrong" to start a page with blank lines.

Oh, so NOW you tell us :-)  This reminds me of the eating whitespace
issues in scanf.... :-)

> The only reason for preserving the extra blank lines is
> in case the text happened to use them significantly, e.g.,
> to separate sections or before/after an inset quotation.

Hmmm... in that case, what's the reason for not normalizing to one
blank line for every longest-of-the-two paragraphs?  In other words,
given:

para1
<blank>
<blank>

and

para1
<blank>

why pad the second text with another blank line?

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net