On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:18 AM, Chris Pine wrote:

> I don't see Pascal as "offering all that" (what percentage of
> programmers use Pascal on the job?), nor BASIC.  (Unless you meant
> Visual Basic or VB.NET or something... but I thought those were fairly
> different languages?  Admittedly, I don't know much about the BASIC
> world, but outside of Microsoft's versions, I didn't think too many
> people were building professional products out of it.)

Oh, of course.. neither language offers much of the way in modern
features, though Object Pascal is quite good.

Neither are used "on the job".

But, both are fantastic for teaching programming.  Once you
understand the basic concepts, specifically with Pascal, swapping
syntax (to something like C, or C++) is really easy.

--Steve