Yes, I admit that I was not very clear
(English's not my mother tongue.. ;-) ):

An input text file (@source) looks like this:

0000022340
0023457000
0000000110
0008000000
0000090000
0000330000
0000000730
0664000000
0034000000

or maybe:

AGCTAGCT12345
AAA3BBBCC
AAACC

@source[i][j] = ASCII substring at this position:
e.g.: val = @source[1][3] #-> "3"

by non-convertible I mean everything that cannot be
represented as an integer ("12345678A", "A".to_i # -> "0")

Array a) yields in	Array a)

Array a) yields in	0000000012345
			0000000000000
			0000000000000

I managed to obtain such structures, but not by the Ruby way...