On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:11:24PM +0900, Benoit Cerrina wrote:
> Hi,
> maybe you would find
> return result = getValue if result
> clearer?
This reminds me of a problem I have that is very similar to the above. I would
like to remove the variable so I could do something like

return getValue if getValue

except instead of having getValue evaluated twice it would just be done once. Do
you see what I am trying to get at?? Does anyone think this would be useful. I
t doesn't have to be the syntax I gave above but it does have to be elegant. It
does come frequently enough for me that's irritating. Is it the same for anyone
else?? Or should I just get used to it??

> > > if (x=getValue) return x
When I do something like this I get a warning about using = in conditional. Did
you mean ==??

> > That is, if you come later back to that code (or someone
> > else comes back) one year later, and have to change something,
> > meaning of original code might have been forgotten and cryptic
> > code does not help.
Well I don't know the context so I can't say whether the code is cryptic. But I
don't see how the doSomethingWith improves anything. Besides its ugly (no
offense ) IMHO.

Sincerly,
Chris Moline