------art_10942_27360572.1129127185578

On 10/12/05, daz <dooby / d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Harold Hausman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > [...] the first code I've shared with you guys:
>
> Hi Harold - and thanks for doing that.

 Hey, np, I'm glad I did now! (:

> > #But it's 40 lines of pure ruby no lib use binary file up-hackery...
>
> Excellent.
> I refactored a bit:

 ...snip your most excellent code...

> There's one change in effect from your original and I suspect
> you may have intended it differently ...
>
> the_file.read(1).unpack('c')[0]
>
> .... gives a signed byte so, when you take the average by adding and
> dividing by 3, you can be adding negatives. Replacing those with ('C')
> gives you unsigned bytes and the overall result matches the output from
> the code above.

 Ah, great point. I was vaguely wondering where the solarization effect was
coming from.
Unfortunately my attention span is painfully short. ;)

Maybe we'll see a smaller fowl soon :-)

 But what of the majesty of the whole thing?! (:

daz

------art_10942_27360572.1129127185578--