On Wed, 30 May 2001 00:44:48 GMT, ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com (Phil
Tomson) wrote:

>In article <3B4B4F3B / operamail.com>,
>Benjamin J. Tilly <ben_tilly / operamail.com> wrote:
>>Lothar Scholz <llothar / mailandnews.de> wrote:
>>>On Wed, 30 May 2001 07:44:58 +0900, Glen Starchman
>>><glen / enabledventures.com> wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>Off of the top of my head, the following small companies are
>>based on open source and as far as I know are doing just fine:
>>Loki, Crynwr, Sleepycat, Stonehenge, Ars Digita, Scyld,
>>Aladdin...

Loki ???
Perhaps they have some very small minor product spin offs like the
installer - but mainly they are very very closed source.

>And in this particular product space there is ActiveState which has been
>making noises about supporting Ruby ...  They seem to be doing well.

You got the Source code for Kommodo ??
I only got an offer to buy it for 400$

I was talking about the companies which tried to live on open source
support without having a proprietary product. I don't believe that
there is a chance to change this. All you get is turning your
"company" into a consulting agency - but than developing time must
be very reduced.