Mark Volkmann wrote:

> I don't think I'm a person who repeated asks basic questions whose
> answers are easy to find. I easily found information on how to install
> vim-ruby, but not on how to verify that it worked. For example, if
> I've got an older version installed already and I upgrade, how can I
> determine whether I now have the new version correctly installed? I
> don't believe that answer is easy to find.

What kind of an answer did you expect?  If the gem installed without
warnings/errors, I”Ēm betting that at least that part worked, right?  And
the next step would be to run Vim and see that everything works as
expected, right?  Not a lot to it.

A less smug response would be for me to tell you to start Vim and run
:scriptnames to see that the files are indeed loaded and from the place
you would expect.

And here”Ēs the header of vim-ruby-install.rb:

# vim-ruby-install: install the Vim config files for Ruby editing
#
#  * scope out the target directory and get user to confirm
#    * if no directory found, ask user
#    * allow user to force a search for a Windows gvim installation
#  * find source files from gem or from top level directory
#  * copy to target directory, taking account of
#    * line endings (NL for Unix-ish; CRLF for Windows)
#    * permissions (755 for directories; 644 for files)

If this header is correct, you were asked to confirm the
installation-path, so I”Ēm betting that you”Ēll find the files there,
which probably means that Vim”Ēll too.

I guess what our documentation is lacking is a notification that you are
expected to be familiar with Unix directory structures, rubygems (if so
installed), and Vim before installing our packages,
        nikolai