--981873195-1048915661-11290449559446

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, David A. Black wrote:

> Hi --
>
> Every time I reply to Brian Schroeder (hi Brian! :-) my post gets
> turned into a multipart mime document, and when I view it (in Pine) I
> get told that it's "Empty or malformed".
>
> And today it happened when I replied to Peter v. N.  See
> http://www.wobblini.net/~dblack/raw.txt to see the whole thing.
>
> Brian posted to that thread too... but I guess that's just coincidence
> (?).
>
> If anyone knows what's causing this, or how to make it stop, please
> let me know.  (I'm not in the market to stop using Pine, so we can
> bypass the discussion of mail readers :-)

I think it has to do with non-ascii characters. Brian Schröäer's name
contains one such character, and Peter v. N.'s email contains one too ("
la"). My Pine reacts the same (creates a multipart message when replying),
except it doesn't complain about malformed messages anymore after I
upgraded to 4.61. I don't know how to make it stop though. I just went
through all options and didn't see anything relevant, but that may be
because I haven't got a clue as to why Pine actually does it that way.

Peter