Ok, I figured out the strange behavior and QtRuby is finally working
perfectly for me.

The only thing I was missing was the blurb at the end of the INSTALL
file about making rubyw. This escaped me for a long time because I
could swear I did this my first time through the INSTALL file mantra,
and I figured that didn't need to be done again.

So in summary, here is what _I_ had to do to get QtRuby working on my
Tiger system. First I built Qt (qt-mac-free-3.3.5) according to the
instructions from Trolltech in its INSTALL file, including setting
QTDIR, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PATH. Then I downloaded and untarred
qtruby-1.0.9, and changed into that directory. Then this:

make -f Makefile.cvs
../configure --enable-mac
cd smoke/qt
perl generate.pl
qmake -makefile
sed -i '' '1360d' x_7.cpp
make
# This is because /sw/bin/init.sh (fink) sets
# DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libsmoke* /Developer/qt/lib
cd ../../qtruby/rubylib/qtruby
ruby extconf.rb --with-qt-dir=$QTDIR --with-smoke-dir=/usr \
    --with-smoke-include=../../../smoke
make
sudo make install
cd ../designer/rbuic
qmake -makefile
sudo make
cd ../uilib
ruby extconf.rb --with-qt-dir=$QTDIR --with-qtruby-include=../../qtruby
make
sudo make install
ruby=`which ruby`
rubyw=${ruby}w
sudo cp $ruby $rubyw
sudo /Developer/Tools/Rez -t APPL Carbon.r -o $rubyw

By the way, is it really necessary to make a new rubyw? Is there
anything wrong with running that Rez command on your only ruby
executable? It looks like the ruby on my path is the darwinports one, I
wonder if the OS X native one doesn't need the Rez command (but I'm
sick of recompiling qtruby so I'll leave that as an exercise to the
avid reader)