Jamey Cribbs wrote:
> I would like to announce the production release of version 2.3 of
> KirbyBase, a small, pure-Ruby database management system that stores
> it's data in plain-text files.

[snip]

Jamey -- once again thanks for all your hard work. You rock.

> * And, the most dramatic addition, the implementation of *The Hal Fulton
> Feature* (TM).  I have implemented the shortcut designation for a Lookup
> field that Hal has requested for some time.  Check out the example in
> the example/lookup_field_test directory or the manual to see what this is.

Haha, thanks! But of course, just because you name it after me doesn't
mean it's necessarily what I wanted.  ;)

I will check this out soon, but it will probably be after the conference.
Are you going, by the way?

> * New column type:  :YAML.  If you designate a column as a :YAML type,
> then you can store anything that YAML can handle in this field.  This
> opens up the possibility for now storing arrays and hashes in
> KirbyBase.  KirbyBase takes care of calling YAML.load() and #to_yaml for
> you, so you can just use the field as a normal native Ruby type.  One
> nice side effect of this is that you can even use :YAML fields in your
> #select queries.  Many thanks to Logan Capaldo for this idea!

Cool idea.

[snip more]

Looks like you've given us quite an arsenal of weaponry here.

Norman Richards and I were talking at lunch last week (Norman, are you
reading this?) and we were pretty much in agreement as to why we didn't
like ActiveRecord so much. I'd love to get with him and work on a
KB wrapper. I don't get to code much with local people so far. That's
gonna change.  :)

> * Two new fields types are available for table fields:  Memo and Blob.
> Check out the example in the memo_test directory.

Are these similar at all? Are they, like, text and binary?

> * KirbyBase now makes available "crosstab" functionality in the result
> set of a #select.  I am probably not using the term "crosstab"
> correctly, but I am having a hard time finding the right word to use.
> Basically, you now have available all of the values for a particular
> column of the result set.  Probably the best way to see what this is is
> to take a look at the example in the crosstab_test directory.

Is this a statistical function of some kind?

> * KirbyBase now has the ability to take advantage of indexes if you
> specify them when you create a table.  Both single and compound indexes
> are supported.

More coolness. I hope I have time to play with this very soon.

Cheers,
Hal