Lothar Scholz wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001 07:44:58 +0900, Glen Starchman
> <glen / enabledventures.com> wrote:
> I think the currently nobody should think about starting an open souce
> company, because nearly all attempts to do so failed.

Well, I can hardly take that statement seriously :-)

Closed-source startup companies fail, too. In fact, *most*
startup companies of any kind fail within a year.
(cf. seasoned bankruptcy attorney Jeffrey A. Wurst)

Secondly, one of the requirements for staying in business
is fortitude (aka 'guts'), so to not try something because
others failed is only giving in and is self-fulfilling as
far as failure is concerned.

>Only some big
> companies are still alive but only because they have some very big
> customers which you can't reach with a) ruby b) a small startup c)
> without reputation.

It just so happens, though, that in America at least, it is the small business
which makes up the majority of sales, jobs, and employers.
(per an SBA report in Dec. 1995, anyway)

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA  23510            (757)623-9688 FAX 623-0433