allansimons11 / hotmail.com (Allan Simmons) wrote in message news:<dae53002.0105280657.7fd7e689 / posting.google.com>...
> Actually, you can write arbitrarily complex scripts, with arguments
> and locals variables, since F-Script has Smalltalk like block
> closures. You can't code new classes. You have to resort to
> Objective-C for that.
>
> Back to Ruby, I agree with you that it would be really *very nice* to
> have Ruby integrated with Mac OS X and that this should obviously be
> done at the Mac OS X Cocoa/Objective-C layer. The dynamic Cocoa
> run-time should play really nicely with a lightweight Ruby "bridge".
> With integration at this level, it would be easy to write Aqua
> compliant applications for Mac OS X in Ruby, using the full power of
> the native OSX frameworks.

For Mac OS X Server, there was the application "Objective Everything"
which tied Perl, Python, and TCL into the Objective C runtime and the
Cocoa (then Yellowbox) frameworks.  It was pretty cool, but
development seems to have stopped a *long* time ago.  I know that it
(or an ancester of it) was used succesfully with an ancester of Zope
(Bobo) to do a large web application on top of an extensive suite of
Enterprise Objects Framework objects.

.jPS