I had the same problems with 1.6.3, but 1.7 (at least, what's in CVS)
compiles and installs fine.

There's also this prebuilt 1.6.3 binary for Darwin:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=powerpc-apple-darwin

If I recall properly, there's a README in there that talks about how
he got it to build.

Sitting here wireless on my iBook switching between lovely aqua and
lovely XEmacs 21.4 in not-so-lovely X11 learning Ruby while smoking on
the back porch without doing a single kernel recompile kicks ASS.  :)

Now if only I could figure out why ruby-mode isn't colorizing
keywords... :(